Skip to main content

Exit WCAG Theme

Switch to Non-ADA Website

Accessibility Options

Select Text Sizes

Select Text Color

Website Accessibility Information Close Options
Close Menu
Buckhead Family Law Buckhead Family Law
  • Life Forward

Can I get visitation or custody, even though I was not married to the mother, and I am not on the birth certificate?

Return to FAQ Videos


In Georgia, a parent can get visitation and custody of a child even when not married to the mother and not on the birth certificate through a process called legitimation. Legitimation establishes the legal relationship between the parent and the child. And as part of that proceeding, the court can go on to award child support and establish a custody and parenting time schedule between the parent and the child.

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn


By submitting this form I acknowledge that form submissions via this website do not create an attorney-client relationship, and any information I send is not protected by attorney-client privilege.

Skip footer and go back to main navigation